- Over 1 billion pairs of running shoes are sold world-wide each year.
- 104.3 calories are burned every mile when running at a 10 minute/mile pace.
- When we run, the human heart creates enough pressure to squirt blood 30 feet.
- In order to burn off a big mac (540 kcal), a 140 pound female would have to run for 52 minutes at a 10 minutes/mile pace.
- Running burns about 50% more calories than walking.
- An average man has enough energy in his fat stores to run non-stop for 3 days at 15 miles per hour.
- Adults who bike to work have better weight, blood pressure, and insulin levels.
- Women who bike 30 minutes a day have a lower risk of breast cancer.
- Adolescents who bicycle are 48% less likely to be overweight as adults.
- The U.S. bicycle industry sold $5.6 billion in bicycles and equipment in 2009.
More than three times as many new bicycles (14.9 million) are sold in the U.S. each year than cars (4.6 million).
For every 1 mile pedaled rather than driven, nearly 1 pound of CO² (0.88 lbs) is saved.
The health benefits of cycling outweigh the risks by a factor of 20 to one.
"This aerobic exercise can achieve a "burn rate" of up to 700 calories per hour of vigorous activity, with about 0.1 calories consumed per jump. Ten minutes of jumping rope is roughly the equivalent of running an eight-minute mile. Jumping rope for 15–20 minutes is enough to burn off the calories from a candy bar”www.wikipedia.com